Veda2.0 Released!

Demand elasticity
Hello,

I looked at demand elasticity scenario defined in Demo/SuppXLS folder. What are the 2 parameters, COM_VOC (MED variation of demand) and COM_step (number of demand growth) in TFM_INS table? I saw their definition in attribute table, but can you explain more about them?

Thank you,
Samaneh

~TFM_INS
TimeSlice LimType Attribute Year Cset_Set AllRegions
UP,LO COM_VOC 2001 DEM 0.15
UP,LO COM_VOC 0 DEM 5
UP,LO COM_STEP DEM 10
COM_VOC is the possible variation of demand in both directions when using the elastic demand formulation. In your example, demand can change up to 15% in both directions (higher/lower demand). After that, the demand is assumed to be inelastic again.
COM_STEP is the number of steps to use for the approximation of change of producer/consumer surplus when using the elastic demand formulation. 10 steps is fine for a 15% change but if you to higher changes (for example 50%) than you need at least 20 steps.
More information on the documentation document http://www.iea-etsap.org/docs/TIMESDoc-Details.pdf
Wouter
Thanks for you response. I studied both part 1 and 2 of TIMES documentation. It was really helpful, but i have another question from that table. 15% is a demand range w.r.t. the reference case demand in 2001 and 5 is the number of steps for discretizing the demand curve. What is 5 and year 0?

Thanks,
Samaneh
Studying never ends; here is some more for you: http://www.iea-etsap.org/docs/TIMES-Interpolate.pdf  Tongue
Dear Antti,

Thanks for the documentation. So, it is related to interpolation/extrapolation rules.
Hello again,

I made an elasticity demand scenario with  the same attributes as Demo, but when i ran the model, the result was the same as base case. I wonder if I need to change any settings on VEDA_FE to run the model for elastic demand?

Thanks,
Samaneh
Please try to follow the steps described in the attached document and let me know.

Mauri

Attached Files
.pdf   Elastic_demand_in_VEDA-FE.pdf (Size: 161.33 KB / Downloads: 9)
Thanks Mauri for your response. I have a lot of constraint scenarios, but not on CO2 tax or emissions. I do have constraint on NOx and SO2 emissions. What do you mean exactly with ref scenario? can I include NOx and SO2 emissions constraint scenarios in the base case run?

Thanks,
Samaneh
The elasticity run is based on demand prices generated in a first run (that I called Reference). if you look at the document uploaded from Antti sometimes ago I am sure you will understand the mechanism. BTW it is important to generate a different demand price between the run without and with elasticity and generally you can do this in a easy way with emission taxes or bounds.
In attachment a pdf file with all the inofrmation you need for the elastic demand exercise

Mauri

Attached Files
.pdf   Training_ElasticDemand.pdf (Size: 434.32 KB / Downloads: 14)
Thanks for all of the points and documents Maurizio. It worked in our modelSmile

Samaneh

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Demand response from macro to times shivika 1 1,833 18-05-2021, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Antti-L
  Time stepped algorithm -demand projection canismajoris 7 7,310 18-05-2020, 08:39 PM
  Issue when running TIAM with Price-Elastic Demand NeilGrant 2 4,367 09-08-2019, 03:44 PM
Last Post: NeilGrant
  Demand projections and fixed initial years Pernille.S 1 3,386 29-05-2019, 09:28 PM
  demand side guozhi1305 0 2,457 08-01-2019, 01:11 PM
Last Post: guozhi1305
  Demand projection in multi region model Lukas 6 10,874 15-11-2018, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Lukas
  Demand calculation meldoone 11 22,245 01-10-2018, 07:59 PM
Last Post: MartinBaumann
  Demand Scen Lukas 1 4,540 18-05-2018, 04:58 PM
Last Post: AKanudia
Question Lower capacity, higher demand -> Still demand is met Simon Andersen 6 10,240 12-12-2017, 01:58 AM
Last Post: Simon Andersen
  Input Demand Series Already Projected anadaker 2 7,276 14-08-2017, 07:00 PM
Last Post: anadaker