Veda2.0 Released!

Welcome to Veda2.0!
Rainbow 
Download Veda2.0 

After two decades, Veda has been completely rebuilt into a distinctly superior product. The new version is already active on more than 150 user accounts (May 2021)

All users with licenses under active maintenance will have access to this version without any additional charge.

Broadly, there are two differences between the old and new versions of Veda:
  1. VEDA_FE/BE were based on VB6/MSACCESS and Veda2.0 is on C#.NET/PostgreSQL.

2. Most of the features in old versions of FE/BE were built incrementally, over 20 years. All these features (and many more), are a part of the fundamental design in Veda2.0.

Highlights of Veda2.0 – user perspective
  • No limit on size of individual scenarios or the whole model.

• Three to ten times faster synchronization, depending on the model structure and number of cores available.

> Guidance provided for reducing the processing time further.
  • DD writing is an order of magnitude faster and scales directly with number of cores.

• Much smoother installation process.

• Very stable application and reliable data processing – No Sync surprises.

• Results handling integrated in the same application – Veda2.0 replaces VEDA_FE + VEDA_BE.

> Much faster views processing.
            > Sets and view definitions can be migrated from old SnT MDB files.
  • Works with practically the same model input files (Excel templates) as VEDA_FE. No change in file naming conventions or tags.

> The few changes that are required are clearly documented. Clean models can be migrated within hours.
            > Automated migration of set definitions and results views from Veda_SnT.MDB files.
  • No limit on length of item names (process, commodity, UC, commodity groups). File and case names should still be under 50 char.

Veda2.0 – enhanced features
  • Smart filtering available throughout the application.

• All data is rendered in a pivot grid for browsing, like before, but the pivot tool is much improved.

> Handy charting facility available with all data views.
  • Interdependence across scenario files (due to FILL/UPD/MIG tables) is tracked and reported.

• Column position of any tag, including FI_T and UC_T, is not important anymore.

• Comprehensive documentation of all tags and columns supported by each.

• Open architecture: all user definitions like scenario groups, cases, results views etc are stored in (documented) json and CSV files. In principle, users can modify these files programmatically.

• Server version available as an option:

> Multiple users can use a common installation, but the model folders have to remain separate.
            > All input and output for all users stored in the same database.
              + Seamless GDXDiff of data gdx files across users.
              + Use results (VD files) and views created by other users.

Highlights of Veda2.0 – under the hood
  • Veda2.0 uses C#.NET for UI and PostgreSQL as the backend.

• Based on the MVP architecture, which makes it very stable, and makes maintenance and further development relatively easy.

• Extensive use of parallel processing.

> FI_T, UC_T, all variants of DINS, parametric scenarios, and a several other internal transformation steps are carried out on parallel threads.
  • State-of-the-art version control processes in place for the code.

• Each release undergoes elaborate testing.

This is very good news, I am looking forward to continue to use VEDA2.0. We (IFE) have successfully used beta-versions of VEDA2.0 and it is very convenient with significant lower synchronization time and user-friendly features.
Thank you Amit for this new version. This is very good news. 
I have used the beta version during few months and i should admit it was very useful and convenient to have it.

In comparison with the old version of the VEDA-FE, the synchronisation is much faster (in the old version, it was taking around 10-12h to synchronize our whole model while it is just taking less than 1h30 in the VEDA 2.0). Moreover, i was not having anymore the error message related to the MSaccess 2 Gb size. I should also add that VEDA2.0 is super convenient when solving a batch of scenarios in the case of a very big model (very fast to launch all scenarios and above all else at the same time). Finally, I'm looking forward to work on the next features you planned to add to the VEDA2.0
Great news Amit and his team!

Just to testimony our experience here at E4SMA.
We tested the beta versions of the software in the past few months.
We migrated the EU-TIMES (the public model which originates from the open source JRC-EU-TIMES model) and other inhouse models (e.g. Central Asia model) for delivering new runs in the context of an EU H2020 project.
Furthermore, we are currently developing a new national model directly using Veda 2.0, delivering training and documentation on this basis.

Based on our experience we can say that the new platform is:
  • Much more stable, in particular during synchronization phase

• Faster both during the synchronization and model compilation (DD writing)

• With a better user experience, with several interesting features added to the previous architecture

To date we can say that the new Veda version contributed significantly on improving model user experience, particularly when using very large models.
Great Amit!

From the last part of 2019 I am started testing the new VEDA version and in the last few months I am using more and more this version planning to migrate all our models to VEDA2.0 in the coming months. In the last few weeks I have also tested the beta version for results analysis and it is great to have in one single tool front-end and back-end.

The ETSAP DemoS have been migrated to VEDA2.0 and now we are working on the new ETSAP training material and documentation.

I agree with previous posts, VEDA2.0 is faster and stable.

I encourage users to migrate their own models to VEDA2.0
Maurizio Gargiulo <br />
I can only join in with the recommendations and encourage people to use it.

We have been working more and more with the new Veda the last couple of months and are currently moving all our models to that, it is just so much faster and more stable!
We have been using the newer version of Veda for several months and had a really good experience.  More recently, we put in the latest version with Veda-BE included, and like the new functionality.  Each update has made the user experience better, and the improvements in speed have been especially appreciated.  I am glad the we have made the transition to this version and look forward to it being even better with the planned updates.
Thank you for the great news. My short experiences with VEDA 2.0 are very good!
Please, has been activated the licensing system already?  It does not seem so on my installation.
I would also like to ask how the server version will work. Do we need a new licence or installation files?
Thank you very much.

Lukas