Download the latest version of VEDA-FE (45834) and VEDA-BE (492018)

Veda Application Installation guide

UC on (average) investment cost
Dear community

I am trying to implement lower and upper bounds for the annual investments in all car-technologies.
So far, I have implemented this in a scenario-file as an absolute lower and upper investement-budget in the milestone years 2020, 2030, 2040, and 2050 (see attached). However, working with these absolute numbers is not ideal, because the model invests in each year in a different total number of cars (capacity).

Therefore, it would be ideal if I could replace the fixed annual investment-budgets by an alternative budget that takes into account (1) The real-world average car price (let's say 40,000 USD per car) and (2) the amount of capacity that the model installs in the given year. 
For each year - 2020, 2030, 2040, and 2050 - the bound should be the product of the average car price and the installed capacity in the given year.

Is it possible to implement a variable in the UC, where I don't know the value is determined during the simulation, i.e. the amount of capacity installed in a given year?

If yes, could you please help me with setting up a User Constraint that takes this value into account?
If no, do you have suggestions for an alternative approach to tackle my above described issue?

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Thanks,
Sandro

PS: Now the attachement is added. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Scen_InvestmentUC.xlsx (Size: 207.09 KB / Downloads: 2)
There was no attachment, and so the current approach was not fully illustrated.

Quote:For each year - 2020, 2030, 2040, and 2050 - the bound should be the product of the average car price and the installed capacity in the given year.

Yes, if that's what you want, I think it would imply just replacing the RHS constant by zero, and subtracting that product from the original LHS expression (or, by putting that product on the RHS side). The product can be defined by using UC_NCAP(uc_n,side,r,t,p) = real-world average car price(t).  Putting the product on the RHS side (using UC_NCAP(uc_n,RHS,r,t,p)) would require additionally using UC_ATTR(r,uc_n,RHS,NCAP,SYNC).
(27-04-2020, 01:29 PM)Antti-L Wrote: There was no attachment, and so the current approach was not fully illustrated.

Quote:For each year - 2020, 2030, 2040, and 2050 - the bound should be the product of the average car price and the installed capacity in the given year.

Yes, if that's what you want, I think it would imply just replacing the RHS constant by zero, and subtracting that product from the original LHS expression (or, by putting that product on the RHS side). The product can be defined by using UC_NCAP(uc_n,side,r,t,p) = real-world average car price(t).  Putting the product on the RHS side (using UC_NCAP(uc_n,RHS,r,t,p)) would require additionally using UC_ATTR(r,uc_n,RHS,NCAP,SYNC).

Thanks for your feedback!
It seems like something went wrong when uploading the attachement in the first place. Now the attachement is really added to the first post. Please feel free to look into my initial approach again.

In the meanwhile, I am now trying to implement what you suggested. I will come back when it works or when something stays unclear.
Ok, thanks for the attachment.

It reveals that you are using the INVCOST modifier, which is an "annuity modifier". Quote from the documentation:

"The annuity modifiers are applied to the variable terms by summing the VAR_NCAP
variables over all vintage periods tt ≤” t that have an annual investment payment in period t,
and multiplying these with the annual cost coefficient. The INVCOST modifier applies the
investment cost payments."

As you can see from the description, your expression on the LHS is the sum of annuities paid on the Milestone year of the constraint. Thus, I think it is not actually directly comparable with real-world average car price(t) multiplied by the installed capacity in that period.  This is because 1) the installed capacity in a period comprises the installed capacity in the whole period, not in a single year, and 2) the annuities are usually much larger than the price divided by the lifetime, especially if using NCAP_DRATE.

Possibly using the COST modifier might suit better here for your intended purpose?