Veda2.0 Released!

New in VEDA FE 4.3.1

·         A lot faster and more robust with a lot of data processing logic and query optimization

·         RES view has been redone:

o   Now it shows UCs that are linked with processes/commodities

§  Dbl-Clicking the UC shows all the intersecting processes/commodities

o   The main browse form has been integrated in this view.

§  All browse functionality is available here via the "T" and "V" icons on the RES menu bar.

·         The process/commodity master forms have been improved

o   Element counts appear below the lists

o   "Back" button added on the form (bottom left)

o   The region combo holds its value across clicks and sessions

·         In the models that are distributed by KanORS/KanLo, comments written in the Excel file are visible on the browse form.

·         It is now possible to associate a VEDA-BE database with the model. This makes it possible to use the VEDA-BE sets in:

o   Browse

o   Process/commodity filter specifications in transformation tables

§  Note that VEDA-BE sets are processed more efficiently in transformation tables when they are used as the only filter specification.

·         The help menu now opens the VEDA support site. Further, the support site is also installed locally and activated when you access help without Internet connection.

·         The Model Variants facility on the Solve form has been renamed to Control Panel (thanks Antti) and many new options have been added.

·         New in data declarations

o    EOH and BOH are recognized as years in all VEDA-FE tables

o   Commodity declaration is not inherited across rows in ~FI_T tables anymore

o   *UC_RHS* attributes can now be updated/inserted via transformation tables using the Other_Indexes column for UC_N

·         New post-SYNC log files:

o   Processes that are redefined across BASE and SubRES or across different SubRES files are reported. The first case is definitely an error. The second one could be OK if you are sure that this is not polluting any of the downstream scenario files and you use only of these SubRES's in each run.

o   Commodities that have inconsistent definitions (Sets, Units, LimType, Peak etc.) across BASE and SubRES or across different SubRES files are reported. All the commodities defined in BASE are inherited in each SubRES, so they should normally not be re-declared at all.

in VFE v4.3.1, I can see a lot of improvement.  Really a step change! 

RES tool is really amazing with legible colour codes.  Search option in RES is also very useful (perhaps in the earlier versions too, but I never noticed before), but UC search is very helpful

Error reporting is also improved a lot.

Amit: I can see a message **Version 4269 Available** at the VFE toolbar even though I updated to v.4.3.1.  Is it because v4.3.1 is a beta version?

You are right; we will release this as the production version in a day or two.
Hi, it is working very well with the TIMES_Canada model (although i did not try a full import from scratch yet).
Thanks,
Kathleen
Thanks for the feedback Kathleen.

Now I reinstalled from scratch and everything went fine!  With the new version, Swiss TIMES model also runs smoothly

By the way, the new RES display is only for VFE?  Can it be extended to VBE too?

Earlier versions of BE had a grahpical display of process/commodity parameters like the RES view of FE. But it was useful in very limited situations as it gave a tunnel vision - you had to select one region, one period, one timeslice to see useful information in most cases. It is still available but I don't think it works anymore; should be removed.
However, it has evolved to the ExRES functionality that is available on right-clicking process/commoidty on the main lists or in tables. This does not draw a picture but does provide the navigation facility via single clicks on process/commodity. I use it very heavily for early exploration and debugging.
Amit,
I'm trying to double click a UC in the RES, and I get this error message, and the VEDA shuts down. What to do?

I need to reproduce this error... is it in TIAM_ETSAP? which UC? are you picking it from the UC box on top or from the list displayed with another process/commodity?
yes, TIAM_ETSAP. I've double clicked the organge/pinkish UC box on top of ELCC. I've tried with both S_MaxCoal and S_MinRen.

Which version are you using? Can you try on another computer that is using the current one? This error was fixed recently...

I'm using 4.3.32
...and I get this error message on accessing the RES, as well as everytime I navigate through it:

I don't get Helene's error, although we are using the same VEDA versions. The only major difference between our computers is that I am using Windows 7.
Can you and Helene please send me the error log files? They are in the VEDA_FE\Logs\ folder.