Veda2.0 Released!

Problem with multiple counting emissions
Photo 
Hi all,

I have a problem when using a ~COMEMI table. I'm trying to filter the commodity emissions through processes in order to obtain CO2 amounts from different subsectors in Industry.

Please see the attached images 1 (for how I defined the ~COMEMI table) and 2 (Process Master from VEDA FE, how has interpreted it TIMES).

I used the Attribute TechName in a column trying to filter the emissions from the different subsectors of Industry, be like Cement (for which I defined the commodity IGDCO2 in the fifth row of the table), public service, etc. It appears that these filter I'm trying to put into processes from subsectors in industry DOES NOT WORK.

The outcome is that the processes i.e. from the Cement subsector also emmit CO2 that is accounted in the other industry subsectors, please see picture 3 from VEDA BE.

I can guess that is because I have defined the emission factor for the INDNGA and other commodities in multiple rows of the ~COMEMI table. So probably I have to split them up across columns.

Thank you so much.

F.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

First of all, you need to use the PRCCOMEMI table to tie emissions to commodities AND processes. COMEMI table can be used when you want the coefficients to apply to *all* processes that consume the commodity.

HOWEVER, I strongly discourage the use of tables COMAGG, COMEMI and PRCCOMEMI. These were introduced in VEDA to make life simpler when working with MARKAL. TIMES has attributes COM_AGG, VDA_EMCB, and FLO_EMIS, which can be introduced via FI_T or TFM tables to do what these 3 rigid tables were meant to do. Note that there is no control on regions, years or timeslices in these legacy tables, which you get when you use the TIMES attributes directly.

here is an example of how to make your declarations with FLO_EMIS in an INS table. Remember that INS tables go into Trans files or a scenario file.

FURTHER, are you sure there is a good reason to create all these CO2 commodities for Industrial sub-sectors? I would create process sets with the same rules that you have used, and use them for reporting or controlling (via UCs).
Hi AKanudia,

Thank you very much for your detalied answer and for presenting different alternatives to solve this problem. I read a little on TIMES Documentation files Part II about the FLO_EMIS and I thought I had to insert an extra row in ~FI_T tables to indicate that every industry process produces that specific emissions.

So I will try and use the FLO_EMIS in a INS table that I guess allows me to do the previous operation by filtering by processes so much faster. Otherwise I'll proceed with the ~PRCCOMEMI table.

I did not really understand the last question probably because I don't know exactly what is the utility of defining process sets.

Thank you again.

F. Smile

AKanudia

First of all, you need to use the PRCCOMEMI table to tie emissions to commodities AND processes. COMEMI table can be used when you want the coefficients to apply to *all* processes that consume the commodity.

HOWEVER, I strongly discourage the use of tables COMAGG, COMEMI and PRCCOMEMI. These were introduced in VEDA to make life simpler when working with MARKAL. TIMES has attributes COM_AGG, VDA_EMCB, and FLO_EMIS, which can be introduced via FI_T or TFM tables to do what these 3 rigid tables were meant to do. Note that there is no control on regions, years or timeslices in these legacy tables, which you get when you use the TIMES attributes directly.

here is an example of how to make your declarations with FLO_EMIS in an INS table. Remember that INS tables go into Trans files or a scenario file.

FURTHER, are you sure there is a good reason to create all these CO2 commodities for Industrial sub-sectors? I would create process sets with the same rules that you have used, and use them for reporting or controlling (via UCs).