Veda2.0 Released!

How to set UCs for the share of power generation capacity?
Dear all,
Have you ever tried to set UCs for the share of power generation capacity? For example, I'd like to set an upper bound of 30% for the power generation capacity based on coal in 2050, a lower bound of 40% for the power generation capacity based on wind or solar in 2050 and a fixed share of 20% for the hydro power generation capacity. 
Thanks in advance for your help!

Best,
Xin
Furthermore, I have tried to use UC_CAP to capture the upper bound of the share of hydro power generation capacity, but it doesn't work as the share in the year 2015 is still higher than 0.15 as shown in the attachment.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You are defining negative coefficients for all technologies (ELC_*), and so the constraint will not be effective.
You could try something like this instead:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=254]
(08-05-2017, 02:47 PM)Antti-L Wrote: You are defining negative coefficients for all technologies (ELC_*), and so the constraint will not be effective.
You could try something like this instead:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=253]

Sorry Antti,
To some reason, I can't open the picture you attached in your reply. Could you upload it as an attachment?
You cannot see the picture? Here is the link:
http://forum.kanors-emr.org/attachment.php?aid=254

Testing thumbnail attachment :

(08-05-2017, 06:53 PM)Antti-L Wrote: You cannot see the picture? Here is the link:
http://forum.kanors-emr.org/attachment.php?aid=253

Still doesn't work, and it says the specified thread does not exist.
(08-05-2017, 06:53 PM)Antti-L Wrote: You cannot see the picture? Here is the link:

I can see it now. Thank you so much, Antti~

Sorry to trouble you again, Antti. 
This time I set UC for hydro power generation share exactly as what you show me in the picture, but I found that the UC only works for the year 2015. Do you have any idea of why this happens? Many thanks~
I tried it myself in the DEMO model, and it worked fine for all periods.

Sorry, I have no idea why it does not work for you. But please check in the Browser that you have both the UC_RHSRT~0 and UC_RHSRT~2015 defined, as shown in the picture
(09-05-2017, 12:57 PM)Antti-L Wrote: I tried it myself in the DEMO model, and it worked fine for all periods.

Sorry, I have no idea why it does not work for you. But please check in the Browser that you have both the UC_RHSRT~0 and UC_RHSRT~2015 defined, as shown in the picture

Thanks, Antti~
Actually I set UC exactly the same as you, but it doesn't work for me, which makes me very confused.
Can you post a picture from the Browser, showing all the parameters for the constraint, with all dimensions expanded?
(09-05-2017, 01:24 PM)Antti-L Wrote: Can you post a picture from the Browser, showing all the parameters for the constraint, with all dimensions expanded?

Antti,
Please find the UC that I set for ELC sector in the attachment. Thank you!

Attached Files
.xlsx   ELC_UC_CAP.xlsx (Size: 12.67 KB / Downloads: 23)
Looking at your Scenario file, the definition of the constraint looks fine as such.

But I asked for a picture of the parameters for the constraint, from VEDA Basic Functions → Browse/Edit → TIMES View. Seeing what you actually have there might reveal the cause why the constraint is not working for you. For example, in the DEMO model it looks like this:

As you can see, all the hydro power technologies have UC_CAP=1 on the LHS, and all power plant technologies have UC_CAP= 0.12-0.19 on the RHS, and UC_RHSRT(0)=5 and UC_RHSRT(2015)=0.
Can you show all the parameters you have there for AU_HYD_BASE_UP2, all dimensions expanded?

[EDIT]: Or even better, post the *.DD file for this scenario.
Dear Antti,
Sorry for delay in reply. Please help check the data in the attachment. I think they are same with the results in you Demo model.

Ok, thanks for your efforts in helping to investigate your problem.

Unfortunately, I was not able to identify any clear issue from the Browser screenshots.

However, I can demonstrate that the constraint is working by showing results from the DEMO model, using exactly the same way of defining the constraint as I have shown earlier.  The capacity results are show in the table below:

As you can see, the share of hydro capacity in the total electricity generation capacity is at the upper bounds defined by the constraint in all periods 2015-2050. The constraint is thus working fine. And I have verified the constraints also by checking the equation listing.

Therefore, if you still say that the constraint is not working for you, my conclusion is that there must be some (hidden) factor at play in your model, which is not visible in what you have shown thus far. Here are just two such possible factors:
  • An ~UC_Sets: T_SUC: (or some other UC_Sets tag) might have been left effective for the constraint

• Some of the technologies included might inadvertently have zero capacity costs, making the constraint appear "ineffective".