Veda2.0 Released!

Using inter-period storage to model waste treatment
Dear all, 
I read from the new version of TIMES document (Part II Refernece manual) that 

An inter-period storage process is able to store energy or material over periods. For example, a coal stockpile or a waste disposal site can be modeled as an inter-period storage.

and 

Modeling of methane emissions from landfilling in a dynamic way by using first-order decay functions for the gradual waste decomposition (optionally with different rates of decay for different waste qualities);

Actually, I'm trying to introduce the landfilling process into my VEDA-TIMES model, but I found that there was no clear example that can be refered to. So could anyone share their experiences in solving this problem or is there any example in such field? Thank you all in advance~

Best wishes!

Xin WANG
I have used the IPS approach for modelling the generation of methane from landfill sites, which may subsequently be captured and used for energy.  I have used two (parallel) IPS processes for two types of waste: fast degradable waste and slowly degradable waste.
  • The existing stock of waste (or degradable carbon) can be defined by STG_CHRG

• The first-order decay functions can be defined by STG_LOSS (annual decay)

• The gate fees can be modelled by defining FLO_COST on the storage input

• The storage output can be bounded to zero by STGOUT_BND (if no waste retrieval is assumed)

• The methane generation can be defined by PRC_ACTFLO (auxiliary output flow of methane in proportion to storage level)

The Lim_type of the waste stream commodities should, of course, also be FX (or the commodity net be manually bounded to zero), to force all of it to be treated in some way.
(11-01-2017, 02:20 PM)Antti-L Wrote: I have used the IPS approach for modelling the generation of methane from landfill sites, which may subsequently be captured and used for energy.  I have used two (parallel) IPS processes for two types of waste: fast degradable waste and slowly degradable waste.
  • The existing stock of waste (or degradable carbon) can be defined by STG_CHRG

• The first-order decay functions can be defined by STG_LOSS (annual decay)

• The gate fees can be modelled by defining FLO_COST on the storage input

• The storage output can be bounded to zero by STGOUT_BND (if no waste retrieval is assumed)

• The methane generation can be defined by PRC_ACTFLO (auxiliary output flow of methane in proportion to storage level)

The Lim_type of the waste stream commodities should, of course, also be FX (or the commodity net be manually bounded to zero), to force all of it to be treated in some way.

Dear Antti, 
Thank you so much for the help. As I am not as clear about the TIMES model, does it mean that I should set parameters STG_CHRG, STG_LOSS, STGOUT_BND by adding new codes into GAMS file, or I just need to add a new Excel file into the VEDA shell, and assign specific values for these parameters? If it's the latter idea that can solve this problem, do you know where I can find some simple examples to refer to, and get to know th basic framework of these settings? Really sorry to trouble you and thanks a lot~
Ok, it seems you are a beginner in using VEDA?

You can see many examples of defining new processes in the DEMO model, which you should have obtained when installing VEDA.  There are additional small DEMO models available on the ETSAP site.

Anyway, here is an example IPS process (EXA_IPS) definition, together with a simple example waste supply process.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=212]

These kind of process and commodity definitions should be written into a Subres file (the ~FI_T, ~FI_Comm and ~FI_Process tables). But you can equally well define the process parameters in a scenario file. See the DEMO model for an example scenario file.

I hope that helps.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thank you, Antti!
This actually helps, and I have a much better understanding of the way to introduce IPS into my model. Just now, I added a Subres file with the tables shown in the figure you sent to me. However, there is an error message saying 'Invalid sector name; Sheet ignored'. It seems that the last column of the ~FI_T table was not read by VEDA successfully…

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Do you have a sector named WGEN?  If not, I believe that is causing the error.

I believe the sheets in a VEDA Subres must have names that match the Sector names you have in the Base Templates.
For example ELC, TRA, IND are commonly used sector names.  What do you have?
For example, in my random example for the DEMO model, I used OTH as the sheet name, and it was valid, because the DEMO model has a Base Template called VT_DEMOT_OTH_V5.xls.  Do you see now what I mean?

You can use also append these names with any postfix, such as OTH_WGEN.
See the thread below for some more information on how the sheets of VEDA Subres files should be correctly named, to avoid the "invalid sector name" error:

http://forum.kanors-emr.org/showthread.php?tid=293
(12-01-2017, 08:09 PM)Antti-L Wrote: See the thread below for some more information on how the sheets of VEDA Subres files should be correctly named, to avoid the "invalid sector name" error:

http://forum.kanors-emr.org/showthread.php?tid=293

Dear Antti,
Thank you so much for the kind help!
I will try to fix this problem under your guidance. 

Best,