Veda2.0 Released!

Persistent IMP*Z
Hi,

I have a relatively large model with various resource movements.

However even though I increased the STOCK, increased the IMP*Z ACTCOST, reduced the cost of the individual processes; the model always imports either all or a small quantity of the resource.

The resources in the model are balanced.

Can you please help?

Thanks Lesh
Look at the processes that must operate to avoid dummy imports, in the Browse screen of VFE. You should find some bound or UC that is preventing this from happening. 

Yes, I think Amit is quite right.

I got access to the model from Lesh, and I could see that new investments were disabled for all technologies having Stock (they had NCAP_BND(0)=2, because the they were defined in a Base Year template), and moreover, investments into all but the demand technologies were even explicitly disabled after 2010 (by using END=2010).

When I removed both of these obstacles for new investments, there were no longer dummy imports. I also tested by setting all the Stock values constant over the model horizon, and there were no longer dummy imports even with the new investments disabled. And so I think the problems are obvious.

Lesh: You define Stock values only for 2010, and therefore they will be assumed to decrease linearily over TLIFE. But the demands are constant, and so one can well expect that there will be dummy imports, unless new investments are allowed. And so, you should either allow new investments, or define Stock values that can meet the demand during the whole model horizon.

Thanks Amit and Antti,

Antti, I got your points. but my main concern was that the base year was importing, even though all resources were balanced. Future demands should be imported as there are no new technologies.

Following your observation, I changed the END to 2011 (instead of the base 2010) and it is be working now.. will add new technologies !

Thanks

OK, now you say that your main concern was that "the base year was importing".

But in the model you provided to me, it was not importing in the Base Year; the dummy imports were occurring only starting from 2012!

Therefore, I guess I should now clarify that I was not able to reproduce your main problem at all...