VedaSupport Forum
UC on Different commodities in different periods - Printable Version

+- VedaSupport Forum (https://forum.kanors-emr.org)
+-- Forum: VEDA Front End (https://forum.kanors-emr.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Questions and Observations (https://forum.kanors-emr.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: UC on Different commodities in different periods (/showthread.php?tid=334)

UC on Different commodities in different periods - doonggus - 17-02-2014

Dear,
I have tried to implement a constraint as follow:

Multiplier * ELC_KEPCO1_F (t-1) <= (RECGEN (t) + RECSPV (t))

For this constraint, in VEDA-TIMES, I set up the user constraint as below.

~UC_Sets: R_E: KEPCO1
~UC_Sets: T_SUC:
~UC_T:
UC_N Pset_Set Pset_PN Pset_CI Pset_CO Cset_CN Attribute Year LimType UC_CAP UC_FLO UC_COMNET UC_COMPRD UC_COMNET~0 UC_COMPRD~0 UC_RHSR UC_Desc
UC_RPSGEN_KEPCO1_2012 RECGEN,RECSPV 2012 UP -1 -1 0
ELC1-KEPCO1* ELC_KEPCO1_F 2011 UP 1 155.7415 -1
However, the result shows that the UC is not working correctly. Could you please give me some advices how I can correct the model?
Thanks
Dong Gu Choi

UC on Different commodities in different periods - doonggus - 24-02-2014

Could anyone please answer this question?
I'm still stuck with this issue. T.T
Dong Gu Choi

UC on Different commodities in different periods - AKanudia - 24-02-2014

I have not tested, but this is the direction you need to take:

(changed the order under UC_ATTR)

UC on Different commodities in different periods - doonggus - 25-02-2014

First, thank you for your comment.
I tried to implement as below based on your advice. However, the result shows no ELC_KEPCO1_F during 2011 to 2021. Could you please any more coments?
Thanks
~UC_Sets: R_E: KEPCO1
~UC_T:UC_COMPRD
UC_N UC_ATTR Pset_Set Pset_PN Pset_CI Pset_CO Cset_CN Attribute Year LimType RHS LHS UC_RHSRT UC_RHSRT~0 UC_Desc
UC_RPSGEN_KEPCO1_2012 COMPRO,GROWTH ELC_KEPCO1_F 2011 UP 155.7415156 0 -1
RECGEN,RECSPV 1
UC_RPSGEN_KEPCO1_2013 COMPRO,GROWTH ELC_KEPCO1_F 2012 UP 273.1287773 0 -1
RECGEN,RECSPV 1
UC_RPSGEN_KEPCO1_2014 COMPRO,GROWTH ELC_KEPCO1_F 2013 UP 348.6750349 0 -1
RECGEN,RECSPV 1
UC_RPSGEN_KEPCO1_2015 COMPRO,GROWTH ELC_KEPCO1_F 2014 UP 406.7875407 0 -1
RECGEN,RECSPV 1
UC_RPSGEN_KEPCO1_2016 COMPRO,GROWTH ELC_KEPCO1_F 2015 UP 464.9000465 0 -1
RECGEN,RECSPV 1
UC_RPSGEN_KEPCO1_2017 COMPRO,GROWTH ELC_KEPCO1_F 2016 UP 581.1250581 0 -1
RECGEN,RECSPV 1
UC_RPSGEN_KEPCO1_2018 COMPRO,GROWTH ELC_KEPCO1_F 2017 UP 697.3500697 0 -1
RECGEN,RECSPV 1
UC_RPSGEN_KEPCO1_2019 COMPRO,GROWTH ELC_KEPCO1_F 2018 UP 813.5750814 0 -1
RECGEN,RECSPV 1
UC_RPSGEN_KEPCO1_2020 COMPRO,GROWTH ELC_KEPCO1_F 2019 UP 929.800093 0 -1
RECGEN,RECSPV 1
UC_RPSGEN_KEPCO1_2021 COMPRO,GROWTH ELC_KEPCO1_F 2020 UP 1046.025105 0 -1
RECGEN,RECSPV 1
UC_RPSGEN_KEPCO1_2022 COMPRO,GROWTH ELC_KEPCO1_F 2021 UP 1162.250116 0 -1
RECGEN,RECSPV 1

UC on Different commodities in different periods - AKanudia - 25-02-2014

Note that the LHS coefficients (155.74 etc.) are treated as annual growth rates.

Tell me a bit more on what you are trying to do... what are these three commodities? Are these aggregated flows of different types of electricity generation?

Dear,
I'm implementing a RPS system into a multi-regional model.
Yes, there are three commodities.
ELC_KEPCO1_F is the electricity from fossil fuels in region KEPCO1, and there are two types of "renewable energy certificates" RECGEN and RECSPV. The later one from solar PV and the former from other renewable energies.
As I described above, I would like to implement a constraint, "Multiplier * ELC_KEPCO1_F (t-1) <= (RECGEN (t) + RECSPV (t))"
Which means that the REC requirement in year t depends on the amount of electricity generated from fossil fuel in year t-1. Here, since two commodities use different units in the model, we use multipliers to coordinate them. Based on the policy, the multipliers are increasing in future.
Based on the current result, I imagine that my current UC is operated separetly. One for ELC and the other for REC. Maybe, like this way
Multiplier * ELC_KEPCO1_F (t-1) <= 0
0 <= (RECGEN (t) + RECSPV (t))
Basically, I need to connect these two comodities into a equation. I hope you understand more about what I want to do.
Thanks
Dong Gu Choi

UC on Different commodities in different periods - Antti-L - 25-02-2014

It would be easy to give some advice if it would be clear what you are trying to accomplish.

You say that you want to model the following equation:

Multiplier * ELC_KEPCO1_F (t-1) <= (RECGEN (t) + RECSPV (t))

It is clear that ELC_KEPCO1_F, RECGEN and RECSPV are all commodities. However, it is not clear what variables they should be referring to. In your UC_T table you had two variables related to ELC_KEPCO1_F (UC_FLO and UC_COMPRD), and so the equation above did not even correspond to your specification. Can you state all the variables that you want to refer to in the equation? For example, should  ELC_KEPCO1_F refer to VAR_FLOs of some process, or to VAR_COMPRD?

Note that dynamic constraints operate on successive periods, not successive years. So, you cannot model a dynamic constraint between e.g. 2014 and 2015 unless they are both milestone years of the model. So, can you tell us what are the milestone years (periods) in your model?

Moreover, in your specification you had strange -1 values for UC_COMPRD~0 and UC_COMNET~0. Can you explain what was the intended purpose of these values?  

1. In region KEPCO1, there are several processes (plants or technologies) to produce the commodity ELC_KEPCO1_F. I guess their variables are Var_FOut. All these commodities are produced in region KEPCO1 from the processes. For this, I thought I need to use UC_FLO and UC_COMPRD.
However, for RECGEN and RECSPV, since some of the commodities are trasferred from other region, I think I need to use Var_Comnet of their commodity in given region. For this, I thought I need to use UC_COMNET.
So, I guess the explicit formulation can be expressed as
sum_i {Var_FOut_i (t-1)} <= Var_Comnet_RECGEN (t) + Var_Comnet_RECSPV (t)
Is this what you want?
2. I declare every years as milestone from 2011 to 2022, and I define 2025.
3. I think, UC_COMPRD~0 and UC_COMNET~0 show the interpolation/extrapolation rule. I want to set up the no inter/extrapolation rule for this constraint. So, I set any negative number, -1.

UC on Different commodities in different periods - Antti-L - 25-02-2014

Ok, you could try the following set-up:

It works for me, but of course "your mileage may vary"....

Dear, Antti
It works for me, too!!!
I really appreciate your help!
Dong Gu Choi

I just have one more question. What does 'YES' means in UC_ATTR?

UC on Different commodities in different periods - Antti-L - 26-02-2014

'YES' has an effect only on the RHS. It means "YES, I do want to make this constraint dynamic!".

As you know, the variable terms on the RHS side can only be referred to in dynamic constraints. Therefore, any UC_ATTR on the RHS side will automatically define the constraint dynamic, with T–1 variables on the RHS. In this case, one can just use YES, because there is no need for any other UC_ATTR functionality.

However, if you use UC_T_SUCC (the standard method for activating dynamic constraints), then you will have T+1 variables on the RHS, and using UC_ATTR on the RHS side will not change that.