Veda2.0 Released!

Season vs week number
Hi!

Is it possible to link week numbers to the different seasons when declaring the time slices in Veda? (E.g. WI = W49-10, SP = 11-23, SU = W24-W36 and FA = W37-W49.)
I am not sure what you mean by "linking" here?

In TIMES, you can of course define each season to represent certain weeks/days of the year, e.g. such that WI = weeks 49−10, SP = weeks 11−23, SU = weeks 24−36 and FA = weeks 37−49, and that is quite common practice. However, such a definition is not explicit in TIMES, in the sense that TIMES knows nothing about those week numbers, but only the ordered sequence of the seasons. The modeller is thus left fully responsible for defining all the load profiles, availabilities and year fractions to be consistent with the exact weeks/days each season represents.

Concerning VEDA-FE, one might think of having a tool there for automated constructing of aggregated load profiles and availability factors from e.g. hourly load profiles, according to the timeslice definitions. Such a tool could indeed make use of the information about the exact weeks/days that are mapped to each season. To my knowledge such a tool does not currently exist under VEDA, but there is a separate Excel-based tool available with this kind of a functionality, see the ETSAP Projects page.

If anyone knows better, such that one can actually link week numbers in some way to different seasons in VEDA, please correct me.  Blush
Thank you for answering:-)

What we try to achieve is to declare the timeslices somewhat like this:
Season: WI, SP, SU, FA
Week: W01, W02, W03 …. W52
DayNite: DAY1, DAY2, DAY3, NIGHT, WEEKEND

The goal is to be able to provide input and extract data, profiles etc. both on season level, weekly level and daynite level. However, in order to do it correctly the weeks must be assigned to the correct season.

(I fear that our goal is not in sync with the basic Veda-methodology wrt timeslice declaration…)
The main question is whether your design can be supported by TIMES. If it can be, then we will find (or make) a way to do it in VEDA.
Ok, now I understand.  Why did you not describe the problem earlier?   Smile

I think currently VEDA-FE supports only the same postfix labels for the timeslices under each parent, e.g. W01,...,W13 for all seasons.  So, you would end up having weekly timeslices like WIW01,...,WIW13 under winter, instead of your preferred W50,...,W10 for the weeks under winter.

TIMES would support mapping any uniquely named weekly timeslices to each season as you like. I hope the new VEDA version will support the full flexibility available in TIMES.
@Amit: I believe ANSWER-TIMES has been fully supporting the TIMES way of defining the timeslice hierarchy since many years. I don't know really know why VEDA has adopted a very different, much more rigid approach, but I suspect it may be inherited from VEDA-Markal?

Anyway, there is no reason to force 1) the same number of timeslices under each parent, or 2) the name of the parent timeslice to become a prefix of the name of the timeslices under it. I believe both 1) and 2) are forced by VEDA now. All the timeslice names should be freely definable by the user, as long they have unique names.  I think these are the main limitations currently in VEDA, in comparison to TIMES (or ANSWER).
(09-10-2018, 06:34 PM)Antti-L Wrote: Ok, now I understand.  Why did you not describe the problem earlier?   Smile

I think currently VEDA-FE supports only the same postfix labels for the timeslices under each parent, e.g. W01,...,W13 for all seasons.  So, you would end up having weekly timeslices like WIW01,...,WIW13 under winter, instead of your preferred W50,...,W10 for the weeks under winter.

TIMES would support mapping any uniquely named weekly timeslices to each season as you like. I hope the new VEDA version will support the full flexibility available in TIMES.

Big Grin It was so clear in my mind, but I see that you would have to be able to read minds to understand the problem. I agree, that is too much to ask. Angel Wink

I have the same understanding wrt the postfix labels, but hoped that there was a way of getting around this. We will skip the season definition for now and only use weeks+daynite. (But fingers are crossed for later VEDA versions Idea )

Thank you for your quick and constructive responses!