Veda2.0 Released!

Solution is available, but not proved optimal
Hi,

When I run the model I get this error:

"Solution is available, but not proved optimal, due to numeric difficulties during optimization", I wonder about the cause of this problem.

Thanks,
Saleh

I don't think this has anything to do with VEDA. As far as I know, VEDA does not give any messages like this, and so I am rather confident that VEDA is not guilty of this problem.

I have never seen this message myself, but searching a bit on the Internet,  I found some discussions about Cplex producing exactly that message when returning the status code CPX_STAT_NUM_BEST.

So it seems the message may be produced by Cplex. If so, maybe consider using Gurobi instead?

If you want to know the exact reason for the numerical problems of the solver you are using, I am afraid there is no general answer. Numerical problems can be caused by a wide variety of conditions which may occur more or less randomly during the solution algorithm.

See a general discussion about handling numerical difficulties here (with focus on Cplex):
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecen...culty.html

A few additional recommendations for avoiding numerical problems can be given specifically in relation to TIMES:

• Check the QA_check.log for errors and warnings, and at least eliminate any free output flows if such are listed there;

• Disable any “dummy import” processes if such have been used in your model (use e.g. PRC_NOFF to remove them from the model);

• If you have been using very high costs for any other processes in order to prevent them entering the solution, remove such processes altogether e.g. by using PRC_NOFF;
  • Check for any very high upper bounds specified and consider reducing them or removing them altogether if they are not necessary;

• Check all your market share and user constraints for mutually redundant equations, and remove if such found;

• Check for any zero-cost commodity flows that could become arbitrarily large, and add either small costs or reasonable bounds for them if such are found.