Veda2.0 Released!

UC to Cumulativly Constrain TOTCO2e
Hi All

I wonder can you help me figure out a user constraint for combining TOTN2O + TOTCH4 with TOTN2O in ETSAP-TIAM to give a CO2 equivalent commodity TOTCO2e of all three GHGs?

I have used scenarios with cumulative constraints of specified individually on CO2, N2O and CH4 (below).

UC_GLobalCO2Budget_1Pt

However, I'd like the added flexibility of combining TOTCO2, TOTN2O, TOTCH4 using their warming potentials (1, 310, 25) and to get a TOTCO2 equivalent set "TOTCO2E". I've tried to figure how to do this creating new sets with COM-AGG. But I imagine there a more elegant way with a UC multiplier? 

can you help me out with this? do you have any examples of any such constraint? or can you point me to a forum thread. (i've not been able to find any)

All The Best, James
Hi James,

Here is an example of how one can do it without a user constraint:
uploads/43/Scen_BASE_EmiAggregation.zip

In this example N2O and CH4 are aggregated to NONCO2 (in CO2e) and then TOTCO2 and NONCO2 are aggregated to GHG.

Best regards,
Olexandr

Attached Files
.zip   Scen_BASE_EmiAggregation.zip (Size: 12.44 KB / Downloads: 28)
Cheers Olexandr,

I'll give that a whirl
OK, just to close off this tread, this is what I was trying to do:

UC_MAXCUMGHG

Thanks to AnttiL for pointing me in the right direction.

It is faster and more stable than using COM_AGG and a COM_CUMNET constraint. Also you get the marginal cost of CO2e which is useful.

Best, James
Hi all,
i was trying to make a co2 cap contraint based on this topic, but it seems it is not doing what i expect. The main difference is that it is not a cumulative constraint, it is a cap per period (only in 2030). It is getting unfeasible even when my cap is above emissions in the baseline and when it gets feasible (when i input a much higher cap value) it reduces emissions in first periods and brings them to zero from 2025. Could someone help me understanding it and making it right?

Thank you very much,
 You are defining a bound for cumulative emissions (UC_RHS is used for cumulative constraints over regions).  Use UC_RHST or UC_RHSRT instead, and it should work (UC_RHST is by period, over regions,  UC_RHSRT is by period, by region). 
Thank you very much, Antti! It is indeed working now.

Best,
Dear all,

I tried to implement a cumulative GHG contraint für the period 2020 to 2050 according to the example of James. However, the constraint did not cover the period but only the year 2020 (according to the DD-file), whereas in VFE the Year2 was set to 2050.

Is there any advice what went wrong?

Thanks,
Martin
James' example shows illegal use of a year range for UC_COMNET. UC_COMNET accepts only single years (and UC_RHS does not accept any year indexes). If you want to use the UC_COMNET approach, you need to define the Period range by UC_Sets: as shown earlier in the thread:

 UC_Sets:T_S: 2020,2100,0

Here, the final ",0" is an "interpolation" option, such that all periods between 2020 and 2100 are included.
Alternatively, you could set UC_Sets:T_S: empty, which means that all periods are included.
Alternatively, you could set UC_Sets:T_S: empty, and use UC_CUMCOM with an exact year range.
Alternatively (if it is a single emission commodity), you could use COM_CUMNET (with an exact year range) instead of a UC.

In all UC cases, T_EACH should normally also be defined empty:   UC_Sets:T_E:  
Thanks Antti. Just to post a working example, here is how I normally model a Cumulative Cap across regions.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(16-02-2018, 05:07 PM)AKanudia Wrote: Thanks Antti. Just to post a working example, here is how I normally model a Cumulative Cap across regions.

Dear Amit,

I tried your approach, and it did not work. I just got an error about tha problem being unbounded.

Additionally, VFE now sees the scenario file as empty ("has no data").

Any advice?

Thanks
Martin

Attached Files
.xlsx   Scen_EMI_CumBndTest.xlsx (Size: 459.46 KB / Downloads: 22)
You have "R_E AllRegions" instead of "R_E: AllRegions"

I guess the old one still works, but I prefer the CSET_CN syntax.
(20-02-2018, 03:04 PM)AKanudia Wrote: You have "R_E AllRegions" instead of "R_E: AllRegions"

I guess the old one still works, but I prefer the CSET_CN syntax.

Thanks for pointing me to this error, I did not see it!

Now it imports, but the error is back:
     Row 'EQE_COMBAL(AUT.2010.EMI_CH4_ELC.ANNUAL)' infeasible, all entries at implied bounds.

I would expect dummy improts for the UC, but not an infeasibility.

Any ideas what I can try?

Thanks,
Martin

Attached Files
.txt   emi_cumbndtest.txt (Size: 1.1 KB / Downloads: 12)
did you turn on the "generate dummy varbl for UC" option under import settings?
(20-02-2018, 03:33 PM)AKanudia Wrote: did you turn on the "generate dummy varbl for UC" option under import settings?

Yes, and they have been included in the DD-File (I atteched it as a txt-file above).