Veda2.0 Released!

MATRIX tools for exploring duals
Dear all,
In the document:

"The Dual Solution of a TIMES Model: its interpretation and price formation equation"

are mentioned the so called "Matrix Tools" which enable the access to the primal and dual constraints through the VEDA_BE. This is very useful as it helps in understanding the model and how the decisions are taken during the optimization.

I ran the TIMES model with the CONVERT solver and produced the required files jacobian.gdx , dict.txt, fixed.mps . Then I noticed that I do not have in my VEDA/TIMES system the two utilities run_mps.cmd and run_dual.cmd ,which translate the above files to VEDA_BE readable format, suitable for importing this information into the VEDA_BE in order to start the exploration.

Where can I find these two utilities? Does anybody have used them? if not I would be happy to test them if I can find them.

Thank you very much,
Vangelis

To my knowledge, the dual package was last updated by Wouter Nijs.  In 2011 he sent by email the following information to me, Stephane (IFP France), GianCarlo Tosato and Amit Kanudia:

Wouter's email to Stephane Wrote:At 23:29 07/09/11 +0300, Nijs Wouter wrote:
  Dear Stephane,   In attachment you can find the DUAL package, a CONVERT.OPT file that you also need and some explanation on how to use. The explanation is just an extension of the existing explanation on the web and tells you how to organise. It does not describe the way you can interpret results etc... Main difference with the version I got is that now there is one �mother routine� called run_dualsolution.cmd that combines the subroutines. Another feature is that you can choose in block_matrix.dd the variables for which you want the dual information to become available. Most interesting to start with is VAR_ACT. We use Access and Excel to look at the results if the file is big (by linking to matrix.txt being created) and we use VEDA BE to look at the results for smaller databases.   Enjoy it !

Wouter

You could ask Wouter to send his most recently updated package to you. But of course, me, GianCarlo and Amit would also be able to send you the package that he sent to us in 2011.

Dear,
I send you here the original files as well as a convert.opt file that you need.
Good luck,

Attached Files
.zip   Dual_patch_incl_convert2.zip (Size: 26.25 KB / Downloads: 10)
Dear all

I have a problem with executing the sub_mps.cmd file, which returns many "file not found" errors.
Most of them are *.awk files, but also set.cmd and set_final.cmd. Are those files missing in the package Wouter provided or I'm doing something wrong?

After executing model with option lp=convert I simply moved three generated files to the folder with "dual package" and then run the run_mps.cmd file (dict.txt is read normally)

Best regards
Maciek
(14-09-2015, 02:49 PM)Maciek Wrote: Dear all

I have a problem with executing the sub_mps.cmd file, which returns many "file not found" errors.
Most of them are *.awk files, but also set.cmd and set_final.cmd. Are those files missing in the package Wouter provided or I'm doing something wrong?

After executing model with option lp=convert I simply moved three generated files to the folder with "dual package" and then run the run_mps.cmd file (dict.txt is read normally)

Best regards
Maciek

Hi Maciek, did you solved this problem, I came with the same problem when I trying to apply the MATRIX TOOLS.