Veda2.0 Released!

Levelised cost
Hi, I am trying to get the levelised costs of generation technologies. I am following the instructions in "TIMES-levelised costs.pdf" from the Times documentation.
I am using Answer with Veda-BE. So I changed the .gen file with $SET RPT_OPT NCAP.1 –1
and I don't see VEDA_BE reporting Var_NcapR.
Does this control option work with Answer and VEDA_BE? Any suggestions on how to fix it?
Thanks!
Sara

Here is what the pdf says:
The levelized cost results are stored in the VEDA-BE Var_NcapR result attribute, with
the qualifier “LEVCOST” (with a possible system label prefix).
Recommended TIMES Control options:
$   SET OBJ            AUTO
$   SET OBLONG       YES
$   SET MID_YEAR     YES
$   SET RPT_OPT        NCAP.1 –1     (option 1 above)
$   SET RPT_OPT        NCAP.1  1     (option 2 above)
$   SET RPT_OPT        NCAP.1  2      (option 3 above)

Sure it should work with Answer+VEDA_BE. Which version of TIMES are you using?

Can you perhaps upload the listing file (ZIP/RAR compressed)?

Hi,
I am using times version 3.4.5 , that comes with Answer 6.8.1
I attach the lst file and the template.gen file, just in case.
Thanks!

uploads/70/RES7VRFULL3.rar

uploads/70/Template.rar

Attached Files
.rar   RES7VRFULL3.rar (Size: 46.11 KB / Downloads: 0)
.rar   Template.rar (Size: 2.01 KB / Downloads: 1)

Ok, with TIMES v3.4.5 it should work (although it is already rather old).

I just now tested your Template.gen with the ANSWER Example4 sample database, using TIMES v3.4.5, and I got the VAR_NCAPR results in VEDA-BE.  So, I can confirm that it works.

It remains unclear, why it does not work for you. I guess the only way to find out would be having your whole model, and testing with it...

But have you tried it with the Example4 database?

Hi, Antti
You are right, it does work with example4, but it doesn't work with my model.
I thought that maybe I've misunderstood the reporting. I thought it was for all Electric Processes, but maybe it is only for processes with new investments (as i can see in example 4).
So I added more demand so as to have some new investments in my model, but it's still not working.
Is there a chance i can send you the model privately, so that you look at it? it's very small, because i'm only trying to calibrate a part of the baseline year data (that's why it is quite restricted).
Thanks
Sara

PS: as you mention Times code 3.4.5 is quite old, am i missing any important new features? as i haven't seen any new documentation in the etsap webpage. Does your Answer work with a newer code?
It's working!! Smile
I think the missing had to do with the model being over restricted in terms of new investments.
Thank you anyway!
Sara

The levelised cost reporting is for all technology vintages that have some new capacity installed, and which have an output-based primary group.  In principle they could be reported also for past investments, but because the primary use of the levelised costs is focused on new technologies, past investments are currently not included in the calculation.

The latest version of TIMES, v3.6.0 works well with ANSWER.  If you have signed the ETSAP LoA, you should have been provided with the necessary credentials for downloading new versions of TIMES from the download page:

http://www.kanors-emr.org/download.asp

If you wish, you can also send me your model privately, to have a look at it.

(24-04-2014, 07:46 AM)Antti-L Wrote:

The levelised cost reporting is for all technology vintages that have some new capacity installed, and which have an output-based primary group.  In principle they could be reported also for past investments, but because the primary use of the levelised costs is focused on new technologies, past investments are currently not included in the calculation.

The latest version of TIMES, v3.6.0 works well with ANSWER.  If you have signed the ETSAP LoA, you should have been provided with the necessary credentials for downloading new versions of TIMES from the download page:

http://www.kanors-emr.org/download.asp

If you wish, you can also send me your model privately, to have a look at it.

Dear Antti, do you know the levelised cost for past investment is available or not now?
No, it is not now available.

Besides, as past investments are often modelled by PRC_RESID (aka Stock), and even without investment costs specified, it is not even quite clear how levelized costs should be consistently calculated for those.