Veda2.0 Released!

Minimum Utilization Constraint on activity
Dear all,
when putting a bound on capacity growth for a specific process, the model actually install the maximum capacity which is allowed but the activity from that process results zero up to the last decades of the century.
Is there a way to put a constraint on the minimum utilization of the installed capacity, so that the activity Var_Act results equal (or at least 80-90%) to the Var_Cap for a specific process?

Note that I defined the technology with a "CAP2ACT" coefficient equal to 1.

Thanks,
Giulia
I am not sure I understand. You say you set a bound on capacity growth for a specific process, and the model actually installs the maximum capacity allowed but the activity from that process results zero up to the last decades of the century? Up to and including, or up to but excluding the last decades?

Anyway, sure you can easily put a lower bound on the utilization factor (e.g. NCAP_AFA(LO) = 0.8).
(04-05-2018, 03:47 PM)Antti-L Wrote: I am not sure I understand. You say you set a bound on capacity growth for a specific process, and the model actually installs the maximum capacity allowed but the activity from that process results zero up to the last decades of the century? Up to and including, or up to but excluding the last decades?

Anyway, sure you can easily put a lower bound on the utilization factor (e.g. NCAP_AFA(LO) = 0.8).
excluding the last decades, when actually capacity and activity coincide again.

Anyway, the bound on NCAP_AFA solved easily the problem, thanks!

Giulia
Dear all,
I was wondering if you could tell me which UC_ coefficient (i.e. UC_ACT, UC_CAP etc) I should be using to constrain NCAP_AFA? 

Attached is an example file, where I am attempting to limit NCAP_AFA for a biodiesel production plant to be above 0.5. I attempted to constrain it using UC_ACT, but this didn't work (when running the scenario, the utilisation of the biodiesel plants falls to zero).

Could you tell me where my current file is going wrong?

All the best
Neil

Attached Files
.xlsx   Error_Example.xlsx (Size: 223.04 KB / Downloads: 15)
I am not sure what you are trying to do. You cannot refer to NCAP_AFA in a user constraint.

Anyway, in the UC_T table you are trying to define something for a single process in a single region (CHI). The description says "Enforces a minimum utilisation factor of 50% for biodiesel production plants", so perhaps just for all plants of this single technology? If this is so, why not just define NCAP_AFA in a TFM_INS table for years ≥ 2020:

 NCAP_AFA(CHI,2020,UBDLCRP100,LO)=0.5;
 NCAP_AFA(CHI,0,UBDLCRP100,LO)=5;
(22-04-2019, 08:52 PM)Antti-L Wrote: I am not sure what you are trying to do. You cannot refer to NCAP_AFA in a user constraint.

Anyway, in the UC_T table you are trying to define something for a single process in a single region (CHI). The description says "Enforces a minimum utilisation factor of 50% for biodiesel production plants", so perhaps just for all plants of this single technology? If this is so, why not just define NCAP_AFA in a TFM_INS table for years ≥ 2020:

 NCAP_AFA(CHI,2020,UBDLCRP100,LO)=0.5;
 NCAP_AFA(CHI,0,UBDLCRP100,LO)=5;

Thanks Antti - that's really helpful!

Cheers,
Neil